Westminster

Westminster  DIOCESAN BRANCH
President:  Jennifer Hallal
Vice President: Veronica Comparini
Treasurer:  Teresa Combes
Secretary:  Carole Cooper

Chaplain: Fr Gerard Skinner

There are currently 13 Sections in the Diocese of Westminster where members meet regularly:  Buntingford, Carpenders Park, Cockfosters, Hemel Hempstead  (Adeyfield and Boxmoor),  Mill Hill, Royston, Southall, St Albans (Ss Alban & Stephen and St Bartholomew’s), Watford, Welwyn Garden City and our newest Section in Hanwell.  Including our direct members we number just over 300.

If you would like to find out more about CWL in these Sections then please contact: westminster@cwlhq.org.uk

Westminster Italian

 

 

 

 

Helen O’Reilly, Chairman of SS Alban & Stephen Section, cutting the cake with the National President

 

Adeyfield Section around the Cathedral used by Pope Benedict on his visit to Birmingham

 

Branch members in the Oratory

Part of the 47 strong Westminster contingent to Oxford

Tea in the Town Hall

 

The Peace Icon

Branch President, Carole Cooper, cutting the cake
In good voice for ‘God save the Queen’

 

 

 

 

NEWS & EVENTS:

At the AGM in Worthing, October 2011

Summer 2011, 50 members gathered for our Branch Retreat at the Nyland Centre, lead by our Chaplain Fr Gerard Skinn

 

 

 

Branch Members outside Westminster Cathedral

 

Branch Members with the Services Cross

Branch Meetings are held 4 times a year, often hosted by Sections – particularly for our AGM in May and our Mass for Deceased Members in November.  This enables more members to experience ‘Branch’ at first hand as well as developing links with other Sections.  Westminster Branch celebrated the League’s Centenary in 2006 with a wonderful Mass in the Cathedral followed by a sumptuous lunch and our AGM in the adjoining hall where Margaret Fletcher celebrated the League’s first AGM.

Click here to view the Westminster Diocese Website >>

History
Margaret Fletcher began the CWL in 1906 when she set up The Central Branch in Westminster.  In 1912 its name was changed to The London Branch which, in 1927, split into two Diocesan branches of Westminster and Southwark.  The first Westminster Executive Meeting was held in the offices at 116 Victoria Street on April 6th 1927 with Mrs Ethel Murray in the chair.  Since those days 29 enthusiastic ladies have carried on the work of presiding over our branch – right up to our present President – Mrs Carole Cooper.Throughout the years there have been many Sections active across the Diocese.  In their Sections members do much to support their Parish Priests.  As well as being active in their parishes they raise funds for many worthy causes such as Cafod, Life, CWL charities and many other charities whose prime concern is looking after those who are less fortunate – be they ‘round the corner’ or ‘across the world’.  There are also opportunities for prayer, widening our knowledge as well as ‘having a good time’!  Friendship and care for each other is very important.